Unfortunately you can’t get shawarma at every corner, such as kebab or gyros pita. So it is all the better that you can conjure up the most popular street food of the Levant – besides falafel, of course – at home. And that even works without a rotary spit simply in the oven. 🙂
All you need is good meat with a pleasant fat content. I have chosen beef, but you can also have lamb. Then you need some lemon juice, apple vinegar and a whole mountain of spices…
“Shawarma loves your spice cabinet”
My mother told me that when she went over the recipe for the marinade with me. And it’s true! You need at least 10 spices: caraway, cumin, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, pepper, salt, oregano, paprika and chili – that’s what you need. But fortunately you can get all spices in every well sorted supermarket.
So, mix everything quickly to a marinade and let the meat soak overnight. The acidity makes the meat a little bit tender in the fridge and when it is cooked for 2 hours in the oven, it comes out butter tender. Tadaaa – you are already a big step closer to your shawarma wrap. If you like, you can put it under the grill in the last few minutes in the oven again – but you don’t have to. In the last 15 minutes I put some tomatoes on top of the grill for grilling in the oven. And yes, you definitely should put some fries in the wrap 😀
The Lebanese are crazy about fries anyway! You can hardly have lunch or dinner without these fried gold sticks. When I was a child, I often just put a handful of fries in my flat bread, put ketchup on it and rolled it into a wrap. Super yummy, gotta do it again…
Since shawarma can be prepared so well, my mother liked to prepare it for celebrations. The meat prepares itself – and everybody is allowed to make his own wrap and was happy.
Recipe for homemade Shawarma
Meat & Marinade
- 1 Kg Beef should have a good portion of fat or a high-fat texture. For example roast beef.
- 120 ml Lemon juice freshly-squeezed
- 60 ml Apple Cider Vinegar
- 60 ml Olive oil
- 1 Chili seeded and chopped
- 1 tsp Cloves ground
- 1,5 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cumin ground
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom ground
- 1/2 tsp Caraway ground
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon ground
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg ground
- 1/2 tsp Paprika powder
- 1 tsp Sumac
- 1/2 tsp Pepper ground
For the wrap
- 6 Lebanese flat breads
- 18 cherry tomatoes
- 6 Pickles
- 200 g French fries deep-fried
- 6 Branches Parsley
Meat & Marinade
- Cut the meat into finger-thick steaks (or have it cut into steaks at the counter).
- Mix the ingredients for the marinade in a large bowl, place the meat in the bowl and rub it with the marinade.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and leave the meat to marinate overnight, but at least for a few hours.
- Preheat the oven to 150 °C, place the meat in a roasting or casserole dish, cover it with aluminium foil and leave it in the oven for 2 hours.
- Place the washed tomatoes on a baking tray 15 minutes before the meat is ready and grill them in the oven on the top shelf.
- Cut the meat into fine, small strips.
Schawarma Wrap assembly instructions
- Prepare the tahini sauce according to this recipe.
- Fry the fries.
- Cut the pickle into quarters.
- Cover the flatbread with the meat, fries, pickles, some parsley, cherry tomatoes and add a dash of Tahini sauce.
- Wrap your shawarma wrap.