Shaabiyat are crunchy and creamy. Beautifully sweet, but not too sweet. The perfect dessert for all those who want to immerse themselves in the world of the Levante and the Orient. Everybody knows Baklava by now, Shaabiyat is still an insiders’ tip.
While Baklava has already made it into the hearts of many people, the fantastic Shaabiyat dessert is still overshadowed by its prominent sister. That’s reason enough now for these wonderful triangles on crispy filo dough and the aromatic creamy filling of mascarpone to vigorously beat the advertising drum.
The sight alone is delightful. Serve your loved ones a dessert after they definitely want more.
Shaabiyat & Filling
- 250 g Filo or Yufka dough, rectangular or square
- 100 g Butter
- 500 g Mascarpone
- 50 ml Milk
- 2 tsp Rose water
- 1/2 tbsp Sugar
- 15 g Finely chopped pistachios
- 180 g Sugar
- 150 ml Water
- 3 tsp Lemon juice
- 2 tsp Rose water
- 2 tsp Orange blossom water
Prepare sugar syrup
- Bring sugar and water to the boil in a casserole while stirring.
- At medium heat, simmer the sugar syrup for approx. 5 – max. 10 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, orange blossom water and rose water and stir.
- Let the sugar syrup cool down.
- Mix mascarpone with rose water and orange blossom water together with sugar and milk to a cream and then chill.
- Melt the butter & preheat oven to approx. 200 °C.
- Spread the melted butter on approx. 8 – 10 layers of dough and place on top of each other. So always spread one sheet of dough and put the next sheet on top and spread it. Brush the top leaf with butter as well.
- Depending on the size of your dough, cut it into approx. 10 cm squares. A pizza cutter is very suitable for this.
- Turn the squares into a triangle and lay the triangles on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Please leave a small distance between the triangles.
- Brush the triangles with butter. Bake the shabiyat for approx. 10 – 12 minutes in a preheated oven until golden brown and crispy.
- Immediately pour the cooled sugar syrup over the baked shabiyat. Approx. 2 – 3 tablespoons per triangle. Then allow to cool completely.
- Carefully open cooled triangles slightly in the middle and fill each with approx. 2 teaspoons of cream and sprinkle the cream inside with finely chopped pistachios.