No potatoes in the Levant? Who says so? First of all, people there are absolutely crazy about fried potatoes and secondly, they like to have a fresh potato salad for the barbecue. But here, the mayonnaise is missing and in addition to that, garlic is added in a very appetizing way 😉
But what’s the problem with garlic when everyone is feasting happily anyway? Exactly! A Lebanese potato salad is made super fast and does not need any mayonnaise at all. The vegans will be happy too. All you need is a few potatoes, tomato, some garlic, lemon, dried mint and lots of good olive oil. By the way: Since I am an absolute fan of cilantro, I always add a good handful of fresh cilantro. But you don’t have to if you don’t like it.
For the Lebanese potato salad, I don’t choose the waxy potatoes, but the mainly waxy potatoes and add them warm to the aromatic marinade after cooking. The marinade then thickens a little through the starch. The warm potatoes also absorb the aromas even better. And when mixed, it smells absolutely delicious.
For me, Lebanese potato salad is not necessarily just a side dish for the barbecue, but sometimes also a delicious main meal. What is your favourite potato salad?
Recipe for lebanese potato salad
- 500 g Potatoes
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Clove of garlic
- 1/2 Lemon
- 15 g Cilantro
- 1,5 tsp Dried mint
- 6 tbsp Olive oil
- Salt, pepper
- Peel, boil and strain the potatoes.
- Peel the garlic and crush it with a little salt in a mortar.
- Squeeze the lemon juice.
- Koriander grob hacken. Tomate in mundgerechte Stücke schneiden.
- Cut the still warm potatoes into bite-sized pieces.
- Mix the crushed garlic with lemon and olive oil and toss the still warm potatoes in it.
- Add tomato and coriander and season with salt and pepper. Let the salad stand for 10 minutes and mix again before serving.