I am a spring child, born in April and as a ram sometimes “somewhat” stubborn. But what always softens me up is a delicious couscous salad. Especially when my blood sugar level is in the basement and I devastate whole regions with destructive lasers from my eyes. So at least the mental cinema 😀
This couscous salad with fresh strawberries and green asparagus not only soothes me, but always puts me in a state of absolute bliss.
Spring for me is like a deep breath and awakening of the senses. The sun is shining in your face, nasty geese are chasing you through the park hissing and the smell of fresh flowers is everywhere. It’s like the explosion of colours after watching a black and white movie and then having the HD TV in front of your nose again: It’s overwhelming. What could be better than a fresh, aromatic couscous salad that not only tastes like spring, but also looks like spring?
The salad is super easy and quickly made. The couscous cooks on its own while you quickly slice the fresh strawberries and green asparagus. Add a few roasted almonds and then the fresh dressing with lemon zest, za’atar and sumac on top and you have your spring greeting from the kitchen. It always brings me back home very quickly from the gloomy end-time head cinema with the laser eyes.
Recipe for Couscous salad with strawberries and green asparagus
- 150 g Couscous
- 200 g Strawberries
- 200 g Green asparagus
- 30 g Almonds sliced
- 2 Spring onions
- 1 Lemon
- 4 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Za'atar
- 1 tsp Sumac
- Salt, pepper
- Prepare the couscous according to the package instructions.
- Cut the strawberries into slices.
- Break off the lower ends of the asparagus and cut the asparagus into bite-sized pieces.
- Cut the spring onions into rings.
- Wash the lemon properly and grate the peel finely. Squeeze half a lemon.
- Roast the almonds briefly in a coated pan and set aside.
- Mix the couscous, strawberries, spring onion, asparagus and lemon peel.
- Mix lemon juice with olive oil, Za'atar, sumac, salt and pepper and marinate the salad with it.
- Garnish couscous salad with almonds and serve.